Number of control points
Initial number of control points of drivers regardless of their experience is 39. This maximum number of available control points does not change in case of next driving license reissued.
The number of withdrew, recovered, and the remaining control points for each driver are accounted by the Office of the account of drivers in Sofia and the regional directorates "Police".
Information on the number of available control points are available upon application issued by the driver and payment of the state fee.
Withdrawal of all control points
A driver who has lost all control points, lose his driving license and is obliged to return the license to the relevant department of the Ministry of Interior.
Penalty "Deprivation of the right to drive a motor vehicle" starting on the date of the seizure of the driving license.
A person who has lost the driving license due to the withdrawal of all control points, after the returning of his/her driving license has the right to be admitted to the exam to obtain back his/her driving license, but not earlier than 6 months from the date on which the driving license is returned.
- Returning your driving license voluntarily or it will be seized by force.
- Endured deprivation of driving license for six months period.
- After these six months you must take a test on psychological fitness.
- If the assessment of your psychological fitness is positive you receive a certificate of psychological fitness.
- If the assessment of your psychological fitness is negative, you have the right to take another assessment within the next three months, as the last one is organized in the central psychological laboratory in Sofia.
- If the last (third) assessment of your psychological fitness is negative, you have the right to take a new assessment after a period of one year from the date of the first assessment.
- When you get the order to seize your driving license from the Police and your psychological fitness certificate you are allowed to sign up for a new driving course for category "B" and after its completion you must take a theoretical and practical exams.
- If you posses driving license for other category/categories you must take a theoretical and practical exams for each on of that categories.
- If you successfully passed the exam you are issued a new driving license.
Restore the control points
The number of control points to verify the validity of the driving license is restored:
- partially by an increase of one third of the original number of control points after passing additional training, but not more than at once for a period of one year and in case that the driver has paid all imposed penalties (fines), which he/she certifies by the relevant payment documents;
- officially, to the maximum number of control points, after the expiry of two years from the date on which came into force last penalty provision, by which the driver lost control points.
The number of control points to verify the validity of the driving license may be reversed only to the original maximum.
Course for recovery of the control points
- Recovered control points by participating in one course are one third of the maximum initial number.
- Every driver has the right to participate in course for recovery of the control points, if not participated in such a course, or just once a year only in case that there is a year passed from the previous course.
- Withdrawal control points can be recovered automatically and without passing a course, but in case that in the last two years the driver has no violations that have taken away control points.
To take the recovery course you will need:
- ID card
- driving license
- control card or act
You should apply for the course a couple of days before its starting date. There is no matter which city your driving license is registered.
The standard duration of the course is one day.
All companies providing driving courses also provides and courses for recovery of control points according to the ordinance of the Ministry of Interior (only on Saturdays). Classes start at 8:00 and lasts six (6) hours - until 13:30. The themes are curriculum approved by the Ministry of Interior.
At the end of the course you are issued a certificate for training, which you must represent to the relevant regional traffic police department, where your driving license is registered.